For a while now, I've been wanting to put together a definitive playlist for the songs Apple uses in its commercials. They have pretty good taste in music when it comes to picking tracks that "work" with the image of products like the iMac, iPod, iTunes (back when it was decent), and the iPhone. They've used newer tracks, moldy oldies, dance, hip-hop, jazz, classical, well-established artists and indie groups, and one-hit wonders.
I revisited the idea of putting together the playlet this week, and in the spirit of GTD and JFDI, I decided to pull the trigger. I started working on it around 7:00 pm and at the time of writing this (10:00 pm), I'm finished as much as I can be. I managed to find 131 tracks that matched the Wikipedia listing. You'll notice that the link is for all music used by Apple. I decided to eliminate any tracks used at conferences (like WWDC) or special media events. My logic is that, while these events have some public element to them - you can watch the WWDC keynote and media events online - they're not considered public events by nature and therefore, any music played during them might not be as recognized as their iconic commercials. Therefore, these tracks have been omitted from my playlist.
Despite these omissions, I have to say that the remaining 131 tracks prove to be a great (albeit eclectic) collection of tracks. I did some searching online and found that most people who have similar playlists on Spotify don't have nearly as many tracks as I've compiled here. As a result, I've made the playlist public to share it with as many people as possible, with a few footnotes:
- This is a very eclectic blend of music. It bridges a ton of genres from hip-hop to classical jazz and rock-n-roll. Not everything will be to your taste, but for the sake of a complete collection, I will not remove anything.
- There are some explicit and/or suggestive lyrics, most notably Lose Yourself by Eminem, The Hell Song by Sum 41, and Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Be warned if you don't like suggestive tracks, you might want to skip over these (but what fun would that be).
- Unfortunately due to a limitation in Spotify, I have no way to determine exactly how long it will take to listen from start-to-finish on this playlist. I don't really think this would be a problem in most cases, but more to the point of curiosity than anything else.
If you want to grab the playlist, you can do it a couple of ways.
- You can visit the page I've created on my blog for this playlist. Simply log into your Spotify account on the website to play the tracks.
- You can click this link to import the playlist into your desktop version of Spotify.
If you have any issues getting the playlist imported into your Spotify account, leave me a note in the comments and I'll do what I can to help you out. This goes for updates to the list too. As long as I can confirm a new track to the Wikipedia list, I'll update the list as needed with the latest songs.
As an added bonus, you can snag a list of the songs I've included in the playlist if you want to see what I've been able to find on Spotify thus far. Listings in yellow cannot be found or do not have an adequate match on Spotify. Listings in green are included. Enjoy!
Apple Commerical Songs playlist tracks (PDF) - Updated to v2: now with YouTube links
Apple Commerical Songs playlist tracks (Excel) - Updated to v2: now with YouTube links